Friday, April 4, 2008

Spirit: Obey Your Thirst

So I've had the following topic presented to me and I think it's a good one: "Does going to a christian college hinder your faith or spark a greater fire"

Like all good answers, I believe it depends. I think being in a "christian" environment holds the potential to spark a greater fire. There are weekly global prayer meetings, chapels three times a week, a praise service on sunday nights and numerous forums for spiritual enlightenment regarding a number of different areas. I hear going of campus and studying abroad is particularly inspiring in a spiritual sense

However, it is only potential. One cannot reasonably expect to attend each of these events and succeed at what you came here to do: get a degree and good enough GPA to impress people to give you a job or acceptance into their grad school.

Personally, it's hindered my faith. I expect that in a christian environment that I will see a reflection of the one that they claim to serve in Christ. What I see if it is in fact accurately reflected is not a God I would wish to serve. This dichotomy is particularly troubling to me and if somewhere along life's journey that I end up not being a Christian, Houghton's "christian" atmosphere will be the reason.

That's not to say that it can't spark a fire, one would simply need to be willing to sacrafice other things such as an hour of social time here or an hour of studying there to make an effort to commit to spiritually enlightening events.

Follow Up Question: "Does living with a bunch of females including one that is going to get married force you to look at your own future and then you panic when you realise [sic] you are going to graduate in a year and your boyfriend may be interested in marriage in the next three to five........ the female perspecitive."

Answer: From a female perspective: "yes."

No comments: